Mountain Cedar location(s): Arbuckle Mountains, OK
Regional weather: Saturday
- Sunday, December 27 and 28 – TX/OK: Across the region today skies will
cloudy to mostly cloudy with the day beginning with the chance of rain. To the north in central and southern Oklahoma
there will be a 20% chance, increasing to 30% in north Texas. The chance of rain increases to 40 and 50% in
the edge communities along the I-35 corridor.
The cloudy conditions and rainfall occurs as the winds have switched
from yesterday coming from the north, heading due south. Along with the chance of moisture throughout
the region temperatures will be cool, with the Plateau and areas northward,
except the edge communities, staying in the 40s today. The edge communities will climb to the mid-
to upper 50s. With the shift to a
northerly flow, winds will be in the moderate range with gusts reaching into
the 25 to 30 mile per hour range.
Overall a breezy, chilly day is on tap for the region. Overnight mostly cloudy skies will prevail
with temperatures dropping into the upper low 30’s and upper 20s across the
Edwards Plateau, and into the 30’s in the edge communities. Temperatures are expected to be in the mid-20s
across southern Oklahoma. Winds will remain
from the north at moderate levels, dropping off a bit towards the morning. Tomorrow, mostly sunny to clear and sunny
skies will begin to build in.
Temperatures across Texas will begin to rebound with most areas across
the Edwards Plateau reaching the mid to upper 50s. Winds will be light, 5 to 10 miles per
hour. In northern Texas moving into southern
Oklahoma temperatures will remain in the 40s, but under mostly sunny skies with
light and variable winds. Tomorrow night
winds will begin to shift coming from the south at generally light conditions. Temperatures will drop into the 30’s, but be
not as cold as tonight
Trajectory weather: Air
mass trajectories over southern Oklahoma today will be influenced by moderate
to strong flow from the north and cold conditions. Temperatures across the region will be in the
40s for its high today. Areas to the
north towards Oklahoma City will only reach into the 30s’. This morning, moisture associated with the
movement of the cold front will bring the chance of showers into the
region. The combination of cold
temperatures, along with the chance of rain will result in only a small chance of
pollen release, entrainment and travel today.
Tomorrow, temperatures and mostly sunny skies will begin to build better
conditions. However, the warm-up by
Sunday will only result in temperatures in the mid-40s. For these reasons, it seems that the southern
Oklahoma and northern Texas populations will be contribute significantly over
the forecast period.
OUTLOOK: ***Low Threat today and Low Threat
Tomorrow *** poor conditions for pollen release today and tomorrow with
temperatures in the 40s both days. In
addition today has a chance of rain as storms move across the north Texas and
southern Oklahoma region. Winds will be
from the north at moderate levels, with gusts in the 25 to 30 mph range. Tomorrow, the chance of rain leaves the
region and sunny skies begin the overall warmup however high temperatures will
remain in the low to mid 40s. Sunday
night winds begin to shift back, coming from the south, with warmer conditions
expected on Monday. Trajectory Start (s) (shown by black star on map): Davis, OK.
Prepared by: Estelle Levetin(Faculty of Biological Science, The University of Tulsa, 800 S. Tucker Dr., Tulsa, OK 74104) and Peter K Van de Water (Department of Earth and Environmental Science, California State University Fresno, 2576 East San Ramon Avenue, M/S ST24, Fresno CA 93740-8039). This forecast gives the anticipated future track of released Mountain Cedar pollen, weather conditions over the region and along the forecast pathway, and an estimated time of arrival for various metropolitan areas.